Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Help, I'm a Hoarder | When Reselling Takes over Your House

Help, I'm a Hoarder
Photo by Greta Schölderle Møller on Unsplash


The cry I hear a lot of resellers yell--and honestly, this one baffles me--is when they scream, "Help, I'm a hoarder!" As if this wasn't a problem all of us face when reselling takes over your house, the answer starts to become obvious...

Invest in storage!

Yes, that's right. You might have to spend money :(

Gasp...

Let's get this out of the way. If you're serious about reselling on platforms such as eBay, Etsy, or Amazon (non-FBA of course) then you need to start treating your business like a business.

Which means invest in storage!

But Newbie, I can't Afford Storage!

Bullocks!

Here in Toledo, Ohio, I have a 5x10 storage that I pay $45 dollars a month for. That includes a shelving unit and twelve storage bins just along one wall!

Do you know how many ties and hats can go in a storage unit?

Ditto with clothes.

I have a clothing rack in my storage unit where I hang all of the expensive clothes. Along with other bins to store them in. And guess what, I go to bed at night without having to roll over on a pile of laundry waiting to be listed on eBay!

So again, don't tell me you can't afford to pay for storage. Because if you're at all serious about reselling and are treating this like a part-time business you should be making at least a hundred bucks a month in sales. 

At least!

Again, I'm not going to get too heavy into finances, but honestly, I knew before I even started reselling that I was going to be investing in storage. Which is why I went and paid for a storage unit before selling a single thing.

So don't tell me you can't afford storage!

No, Seriously Newbie! I Can't Afford Storage

Fine, then the next question for all of you unfortunate souls out there is why you're still not treating your reselling career like a business.

If hoarding really is as big of a deal as you're making it, then I have to ask why you don't have a dedicated space in your house/apartment/whatever for your reselling business?

What is keeping you up at night isn't your onset of hoarding nightmares but rather your lack of focus and perspective.

Perhaps you weren't like me. Perhaps eBay or Amazon or Etsy began as a hobby or fun thing to do. Fine. But you get addicted to the real drug of the business... THE HUNT!

So you start loading up your car or van every time you drive to a Goodwill and one day it hits you! You now have a house full of stuff!

And I get it. This stuff happens.

When I first started reselling two years ago I was staying in my dad's very small house, where I had literally a corner in a garage to sell out of.

By two months I had a bedroom stockpiled with clothes and reselling items to list. And I remind you this was a small children's bedroom I was living in.

So yeah, the threat of becoming a hoarder is real...

But I have to ask, why???

Not To Sound Like a Broken Record, But...

Again, treat your reselling business like a business.

Which means investing in storage. And better yet, creating a gameplan. 

Which means, what are your goals? What do you dream about for the future? What do you want to do with your business?

And ask yourself, if hoarding becomes an issue, why do you even do this in the first place?

Trust me, I see this kind of stuff on YouTube videos every day. There's a blog I follow called Scavenger Life that features a couple that live, breathe and eat eBay. And I see it in their own houses. They're literally overflowing with inventory

Which is fine, if you're fine with it.

But if you're honestly asking or crying why you're a hoarder, then ask yourself why you're aren't investing in storage.

Believe me, do yourself a favor, and invest in a unit. 

And while you're at, get your sanity back!

As always, much love and peace...

Newbie!

No comments:

Post a Comment